Should cheerleading be recognized as a sport, so they can receive the same level of training and medical care as other athletes? What’s your take? We posed this very same question on our Facebook page and received varying opinions.
Interestingly enough, nearly 37,000 cheerleaders visited the emergency room last year alone, and concussion rates rose 25% between 1998 and 2008!
The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) believes cheerleading should be designated as a sport and makes key recommendations for preventing cheerleading injuries, including:
- Cheerleading should be designated as a sport in all states, allowing for benefits such as qualified coaches, better access to medical care and injury surveillance.
- All cheerleaders should have a pre-season physical, and access to qualified strength and conditioning coaches.
- Cheerleaders should be trained in all spotting techniques and only attempt stunts after demonstrating appropriate skill progression.
- Pyramid and partner stunts should be performed only on a spring/foam floor or grass/turf. Never perform stunts on hard, wet or uneven surfaces. Pyramids should not be more than 2 people high.
- Coaches, parents and athletes should have access to a written emergency plan.
- Any cheerleader suspected of having a head injury should be removed from practice or competition and not allowed to return until he or she has clearance from a health professional.
With cheerleading being the second leading cause of catastrophic injuries in high school sports (football #1), injuries from cheerleading represent a sizeable chunk of our business at CastCoverZ! Even About.com has referenced CCZ! as the go-to source when injured.
CastCoverZ! offers functional and fashionable products designed to cover casts, orthotic walking boots, splints & braces, along with offering designer colored crutches, CrutchWear accessories, and companion products to bring relief and comfort to orthopedic patients. No matter what the orthopedic event is, we’ve got you covered!
Big THANKZ to Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company for this enlightening and informative infographic!