If you have injured a bone or ligament, or had surgery, your doctor may choose to apply a cast. A cast will immobilize the injured area to allow healing. Wearing a cast will feel awkward and inconvenient, but here are some important things you should know.
5 Things You Must Know About Wearing a Cast:
1. The most important thing you must know about wearing a cast is to keep it DRY! This is the #1 request of orthopedic doctors. If your cast gets wet and becomes gooey inside, your skin could get raw and quite possibly infected (ewww), while the cast loses it’s integrity…Oh No! Fear not, CastCoverz! will help you keep your cast dry, clean, and scratch & snag-free with fabric cast covers and waterproof cast protectors, which allow you to bathe and swim, while keeping your cast dry! If you have to be injured, might as well add some personality with cast covers and have a little fun with waterproof protectors!
2. Keep your broken bone elevated above the level of your heart, especially in the first 24-48 hours. This will be crucial in helping reduce the swelling and pain.
3. Know that it is very normal to lose muscle mass in the area that is casted. When your cast is removed, you will notice your arm or leg being very scrawny and weak (gasp!,) this is to be expected. No worries, you’ll gain your muscle mass back in no time!
4. Do not stick anything inside your cast, especially sharp objects to scratch an itch. This can cause a skin breakdown, your incision to get infected, or your item could get lost in the abyss of your cast (uh-oh!) If you have an itch, try the CastCooler®. This dad-invented product reduces itch and keeps your cast fresh and odor-free by drying out the moisture in the lining. All you need is the hose of your vacuum cleaner! It’s a BLAST of fresh air for your icky, stinky, itchy cast.
5. Feeling claustrophobic from your cast? With the CastCooler, the cool, fresh air will relieve that stifling feeling. What a relief! Side benefit of the CastCooler: It will dry out your cast, if accidentally spilled or splashed on, especially these hot summer days!
6. Your cast will scratch and catch everything in sight…your favorite sweater, those expensive Egyptian sheets, car upholstery, Fido the family dog, Grandma’s dining room table, and everything you can imagine! Keep your cast clean and protect your favorite items and people by wearing CastCoverz! daily! These fashionable and functional cast covers come in a wide variety of fabrics from solid colors to bold, vibrant prints.
7. Casts get dirty and are just plain ugly! Prevent daily grime, spaghetti sauce, and coffee stains from putting a damper on your day. It’s bound to happen, but with CastCoverz!, you’re covered because we care! Our fabric cast covers will hide the grime and give your cast some personality. Go bold, go beautiful, or stay neutral with our wide variety of fabrics. Simply remove and hand wash to keep your cover clean.
8. Please call your doctor if you experience any of the following; swelling, fever, cast feels too tight or too loose, cast breaks or cracks, or if you have ANY questions or concerns about your condition or care of your cast.
For more info on cast care, check out the following article: Care of Casts and Splints by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. With proper cast care, a cast will do it’s job and promote healing effectiveness!